Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

A couple months ago, I'd blow a fuse every time I hit my

Customer Question

A couple months ago, I'd blow a fuse every time I hit my brakes. That problem was eventually (mysteriously) solved when I changed the tilt position of the steering column. Now, though, when I hit my brakes, I see my front parking lights come on. My theory
is that before, the brake light power was shorting to ground, whereas now brake light power is shorting/feeding back through the parking light circuit. This seems to be happening either a) in the steering column wiring, or b) inside the multi-function switch.
My questions are, can I determine whether the problem is the wiring or the switch without replacing both? And can I remove the switch safely without being in danger of blowing the airbag?
Category: Ford
Expert:  fordtechsuzukitech25 replied 1 year ago.
without a doubt, just remove the column cover, tilt handle and there are 2 torx screws that hold the multi function switch to the column, if you do not see wires burnt or broken in the column then i would try a new switch. you do not need to worry about air bag going off
also just double check your ground wires for the lights, anytime something strange happens it is usually a ground problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I initially thought it would have to do with the ground points but after making sure of the ground the problem persists. The ground point I looked at was on the driver's side frame rail just forward of the rear axle. Was that the wrong one? Should I look at any others?
it could be grounds under hood on either fender well, under dash, either sidekick pane