Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Focus 1,6 tcdi: I have 2009 Focus 1,6 tcdi. I refuled and when

Customer Question

I have 2009 Focus 1,6 tcdi. I refuled and when I drove off "Engine malfunction" lit up. No other lights. Can't notice any difference though. Engine starts and runs normally. No drop in power. No noises. What might it be? Should I be deeply worried?
Arne Johnsen
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Is that exactly what it says, "Engine malfunction" cause I don't see that exact phrase in the owners manual or repair manual.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. That's exactly it. But I can't view the code Connected to the Message. I understand there can be several codes? I find the Message mentioned numeral times on the internet concerning Ford cars, but none that fits exactly to my case. The Message is also mentioned in drivers manual With the suggestion that the car shouldbe stopped and the engine turned off. That's all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By the way, I said 1,6 tcdi but I Guess You understand it should read 1,6 tdci.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
I have to opt out cause I do not see that message listed anywhere.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. But if You Google it You will surely see that it exists for the car owners,
Expert:  fordtechsuzukitech25 replied 1 year ago.
by chance did you leave the vehicle running while putting gas in it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I did not.
Expert:  sean replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm sorry the previous expert couldn't assist you further, I hope I can.Is the amber engine warning light on? Is the car a stage IV emission level? If you'r not sure do you have the VIN? So I can check the details.Let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have now established that I need to cleanse or replace the DPF. Had I known the costs and troubles this filter causes I would never have bought this car. But I had no idea. :-(