Arench
Arench, Master Technician
Experience:  30-years experience auto and truck repair.
13630601

I have a 2001 Ford F-150 Lariat with the 5.4l. I was driving

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Ford F-150 Lariat with the 5.4l. I was driving and the check engine light came on. I have a scanner and code P0442 came up. What needs to be replaced to get the light off?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Arench replied 1 year ago.
Good evening my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this code. The code indicates the truck failed to pass a logic test that the truck runs while driving.Specifically related to a small leak in the airspace of the fuel tank, also called an evap leak.I can not tell you how to fix it because I do not know where the leak is as there are many possible causes. Some common areas that can leak are: gas cap, fuel filler neck, rusted gas tank, rusted evap canister lines, cracked evap hoses at canister, gas tank, frame rail or under hood.We generally start with a visual inspection, then replace the gas cap with motorcraft only brand then move on to an evap leak test using a "smoke machine". See if your gas cap is on right and make sure the tether is not caught in there. Retest. If no joy, replace gas cap with motorcraft only and retest. Keep in mind it might take two or three days for the light to come back on once it's been cleared if repair is unsuccessful.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would it cause this by having the truck running while filling up the gas?
Expert:  Arench replied 1 year ago.
Possible but not likely. Your truck's evap system is active only under specific conditions, one of which is the truck must be moving. The evap pressure test runs while driving on the highway shortly after a cold start. The chances of you refueling under the slim window the evap test conditions are met is highly doubtful. You can clear the codes then drive a few days to see if the fault comes back to test your theory.