Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

F350: 7.3 drove home now wont start, cranks good, replaced

Customer Question

7.3 drove home now wont start, cranks good, replaced cps, had pcm tested, good, no fuel to filter, pump does not have power to it, now I found the emergency fuel shut off, there is red showing in the slot on the front, cant get button to move.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
Hello, do you have a testlight? how are you testing for no power to pump? no spark? etc? please send all the tests and how done, Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
at pump terminals, checked both to ground with key on. Disconnected fuel line at filter on top of engine, cranked and no fuel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
used volt meter, not a light
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
ok, you said you went to inertia switch, CRANKING, backprobing th wires to the switch, is there voltage on either or both?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was just thinking of going over to my shop and checking for power at the switch, waited for reply. I will go over now and check, will reply in a bit.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
ok, , we have to do tests with it in front of you so LMK. I will be on/off this evening
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no power to inertia switch at any of the 3 wires,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my shop is about 1/2 mile away, so it takes a bit to get there and back.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
you said you checked the relay but,, the relay is behind the dash, you tested the fuel pump relay behind the dash for power at terminals?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did not say I checked the relay. I have checked for power at the glow plug relaly solenoid, not the fuel pump relay, don't know where it is. or what to look for.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my understanding fuel pump relay is in fuse box under hood.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
Im sorry, you said "relay" with voltages and I assumed, Sorry. ok, I can send wiring diagram for the pump circuit if you can read them but in meantime? I really feel we need to do power tests at the fuel pump relay, You said you did check fuses, BUT, if you need specific fuses to recheck them? please LMk before we go to fuel pump relay,. The pump relay is behind the dash and radio has to be removed and you will see a small relay block behind radio, as shown below in the link
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wired the pump independently from the truck with a separate power supply, pump ran, filled the filter etc, still no start,
I will pull radio, and find that relayFor what it is worth, no power to fuses 1 - 11I need to find out if there is power to pcm or injection control mod, is there a way of doing that. no tach, or wts makes me think it is not just the fuel pump circuit.If the High pressure pump is not putting out enough, will it shut down these circuits? Not logical, is there a way to test pressure?I am out of steam right now. I had a 5 way bypass, and a heart valve replaced this spring. I don't yet have the energy or stamina I used to have.
trying not to get upset on this so between the 2 I have to give up for the night. How do I get back to you.No tack movement, no wts light
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will get my operator off to a job and then pull the radio .. I checked both sides of the fuses for voltage, and then checked them with a ohm meter, all but 1-11 maybe 13 checked ok no voltage to these.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
ok, to back up, can you tell everything that does not work with key ON, wipers,radio, check eng light, lights, turns etc etc and waht fuses have no power with key on? under hood or inside at dash?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no power to fuses 1,3,5,7,9,11. no check engine light, no wts light, tach does not move when cranking. abs light on, airbag on then off. bat gauge works, fuel gauge works, headlights work, tail lights work, door ajar works, low fuel comes on then goes off, signals work radio works, air cond works, fans work, oil pressure gauge works, fuel gauge works, truck has manual windows and door locks, batteries are getting soft, I guess I will get a couple tomorrow after work.
glow plug solenoid has power on one side, power to coil terminals, solenoid has 13.8 to one side, 10.1 v to other side, terminals have 13.8 divice that is on inlet, from solenoid has 10.1v. I took these this am, I will recheck this one.
Steve
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
remove the PCM relay. turn key ON, probe the relay terminals, how many have 12 volts
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where do I find the PCM relay?
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
in the under hood fuse box , see the link
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
facing the front of truck, left term 2 .02v rear terminal, 11.57v rt terminal 12.02v front terminal 0v
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
unsure, I have to pull diagrams and try again, back as soon as I can
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so what did you find out
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
Sorry. have been away, I am unsureI just do not know right off, Many diagrams to reviw and so on, I will try one last time, work on this a bit this evening, Please await my reply, Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So, where we at.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
fuses, are they the under hood fuses or inside fuses that you are saying have no power? is the truck near you if we try direct tests today?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
under hood fuses, I am about 1/4 mile from truck, I might be able to log on from my milling machine computer in the shop office. maybe
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
checking somehting
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
honestly. I am confused on this one, You tests are passing and cant find another cause for the problem, I will opt out rather than keeping you, Another expert needs to chime in on this one