Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I want to install a 1994 302 Cobra engine in my 1956

Customer Question

I want to install a 1994 302 Cobra engine in my 1956 thunderbird, does the frame need to be cut?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background,and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice, so feel free to add any additional info at any time. The engine compartment in a 56 Tbird is really big, I installed a Ford427 in one about 15 years ago and it fit well. The main thing to lookout for is an oil pan that will fit in the Tbird with the 302/5.0engine. The double hump mustang GT style oil pan is the type I would use. I have seen people install rack and pinion and custom cross members, and do a lot of cutting for engine swaps, but that isn't necessary. Performing an engine swap without cutting is easier, and someone could return it to stock if they ever wanted to. That can make it worth more if someone wants to buy it someday to put back stock off in the distant future. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer. I do not get paid for my work unless you rate at 3 to 5 Smiley Faces or Stars, a bonus is always greatly appreciated. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will be happy to assist you further.