Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Have been working on Ford GM and Chrysler for 15+ years and ASE master certified.
27644750

Ford focus titanium x ecotec 1.0: we have a problem

Customer Question

hello
we have a problem my ford focus abs not working properly
its happen a couple of times now but intermittently
the problem is that when we apply the brakes then have to do a emergency stop we don't stop the car judders but stops very slowlyits like the abs is releasing for to long before applying the brakes again we have taken it to our ford garage they cant find a fault but all they have done is connect a computer to the car to see if any faults have been registered but no faults have been found but we know there is a fault there
Category: Ford
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing more. The most common fault is a bad wheel speed sensor or wheel bearing. A scanner will have to be connected and while watching the wheel speeds with the scan tool, must monitor the wheel speed as the car is coming to a stop and make sure all wheels show the same speed , any difference and the abs will activate. Also if the tires are mismatched or a wheel is damaged. A scenario like this will not set a code as the car thinks everything is working correctly. I cannot tell you which one is bad since there are four wheels and no fault code. But I can tell you why that happens as I have explained. The front wheel bearings have a speed ring built into the bearing and then there is a sensor that reads the ring. If the bearing had play or there is rust on the ring or sensor or looseness to the bearing it will obscure readings. I hope they can fix this for you , this really is a easy fix with someone that knows how to read a scan tool correctly. Let me know if you need more info I'll do my best to help. Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! ūüėČ Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the ball bearings are losses would you not fell this on the steering wheel?
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Not always no , in fact you can have wheel bearing noise and no play , you can have wheel
Bearing play and no noise. There are many reasons a bearing can fail. But checking the speeds like I say is th best and only way to accurately diagnose this. Hope this information helps. I have taken my time to answer your question the best i could and i will continue to help if you need follow up information , all i ask is that you PLEASE take a second to rate my service so i may recieve my credit for assisting you. Thank you. Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.