A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

Ford F150 5.4 auto: ***** ***** just replaced timing chains and

Customer Question

I have just replaced timing chains and phasers and now the engine runs prefect but I get these 4 codes p0340 p0344 p0345 p0349 then I clear them, and they come back every start cycle and I know for sure that the dot on crank sprocket are lined up with single links on chain and the double links cover the left & right arrows so should be in time. any suggestions?
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.I will try my best to help you with your question.
Where did you get the parts from? Especially the cam phasers?
Also, were these codes present before you did the repair?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought the parts from a local parts store which is Lordco here in BC.
There was a bunch of codes when I received this truck and the chains were rattling so hence the repair so I cleared every thing in memory and now the engine runs prefectly and then when I took it for a test drive up the street, is when the check engine light came on, and so I cleared after checking things, and all was well on the second test a much longer one and stayed that way till I came home and turned it off and then decided to run it up on some ramps and then the check engine light again and same codes so because it was up on ramps anyways I had to check an exhaust leak at number 4 cylinder which is what I've been working on since this morning now all studs are out and cleaned up and ready for a new manifold (cracked) and gaskets along with studs. I have to drill and blast but I got them.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Have you inspected the cam sensors and the crankshaft position sensor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I looked at them seen nothing out of the ordinary. I've been reading different forms and found this TSB 06-2-9 re a generator I'm not convinced enough to chase that one so decided to try this out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not a Ford mechanic but I'm a retired Heavy Duty Field serviceman from a local Cat dealer where I spent 35 years on the road so I'm not your average DIY guy
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
That is good to know.
The TSB 06-19-12 requires a Ford scan tool computer to do the frequency tests. But check the alternator wiring and make sure it is not running near the cam sensor on the passenger side.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right now I have the right hand exhaust off so will not be able to run it but I will go and check the wiring from the alternator. I did read about having a battery charger hooked up but not a alternator wiring so will go out to check it out and get right back at you so hang in there.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Or you can wait till you get it back together and then reply back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes so the wiring is on the way it would have come from the factory but did set it on top of the heater hose area so it's now further away from the harness not the sensor it's like 5 inches away from that.
The thing that really gets me is it starts right up and runs fine and seems to drive good too as far as power goes etc.
Each and every time it's the same codes I did move the harness at the ECM closest to the passenger side fender and then took it for the longer test run and no codes nothing then only after restarting is they came back.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
The alternator amps up when starting because the PCM (Engine Computer) is the voltage regulator. It needs to test the alternator on start up and see 14.5 volts or better. But the harness could shift and cause RF interference also.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So what your saying is maybe the alternator isn't producing enough voltage and then these codes appear
I'm kind of not sure about that but hey your the expert.
I suppose I could make a lot of noise by starting it to find out
When I drove this truck the dash voltage gauge showed normal, not low.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
It is not voltage issue. Is there is a bad diode in the alternator or a voltage spike which create high RF frequency, can cause interference with the camshaft position sensors signal back to the PCM.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You did mention that we could continue after I get the manifold on so will that be more charges or are we continuing on this same thing. Also to can the alternator be taken apart to check diodes or are they all crimped together and a not serviced item?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Just reply back on this page when you are ready. We can talk back and forth till we find the problem or you are satisfied with my answers.
The diodes are soldered into the circuit board in the alternator. I would really recommend replacing the alternator instead of repairing it. They are not that expensive now days. But lets verify the cause before any more parts are replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would happen if I disconnect the alternator and do several starts to see if I get codes. By the way I had the fuel pump safety shut off disconnected while I turned the engine over on the first start up to get oil going thru passages before firing it up.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
You can do that. It will not hurt anything.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I wait till the manifold is back on or just do it now? I need to order a manifold and studs tomorrow.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Wait till the manifold is repaired. That way you can let it run for a little bit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so when it's on I will try that alternator trick and then just get back on this page and you will be there????
I'm good with that and hopefully it works, so if it does should I just get a new alternator?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
The evening is the best time to reach me on here. I do work at a dealership during the day and really do not have time to get on this web site during the day. Mainly on here on the weekends and evenings. But I'll get an email when you reply back on this page.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good evening and today was a good day I got a manifold etc. and got it installed and disconnected the alternator belt and fired it up with the codes cleared and no codes appeared so reinstalled the alternator belt and fired it up and no codes so what gives I said so done another restart ad again those same nagging codes P0340, 44, 45, 49. I moved wires pushed in plugs and no change I cleared the codes with the engine running and took it for a long test ride and 15 miles later no codes so when I got back I again restarted it and guess what all the same are back. So I give up and need your input into me problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also to I did check alternator output 14.2 volts at an idle and at 1500 RPM
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
try starting the engine several times with the belt off and the codes cleared.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so every time I start it with the belt on I get the 4 codes, now with the belt off the first start no code the next start 2 codes P0340 & 45 so I clear it again and same results second start 2 codes 40 & 45.
Strange.........isn't it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now the engine starts and runs normal and at an idle it has the odd quiver like the odd miss I feel that to be normal.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
It could be a bad coil. We have seen the coil packs cause this problem also with the RF interference.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so how would you test for that? wouldn't that throw a code separte
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
It will not set a code unless it is a hard miss fire.
You either need the dealership to use their scan tool that does a power balance that monitors the cylinders miss firing or unplug one coil at a time and start the engine several times trying to recreate the codes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well this is becoming crazy, Is this scan tool only a dealership has or does Snap-on sell it also?
So can we assume that the alternator is ok with only 14.2 volt output?
All the CAT equipment I worked on needed at least 14.6 volts on a 12 volt system.
Is there any other ideas out there?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Not sure if snap on can do it. It is a Ford computer only. The alternator should go to 14.5 and then level off. The PCM controls the alternator output like the old voltage regulators did in the day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so if cam sensor had am issue and the engine started and ran, how would it sound? and would it miss? and would it have power? I have never had so may codes and couldn't do anything with them. There in lies the problem. I' going to sleep on this tonight so if you come up with something then email me or send a message.
Good Night,
Nick
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
The engine will still run, it will substitute a known good valve for the sensor so the engine will run. It will not miss because of a cam sensor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so we disconnected both cam sensors and yes it started and ran, not much power but ran so rehooked them up and the disconnected both VCT's and it still started and ran albeit poorly.
So I've given up on trying to do something with this and am using the truck normally and it starts and runs perfectly. It even has good power and runs nice and quiet now with a new manifold. The crazy thing is no codes before the chains started rattling and changed chains and phasers and now these stupid codes, I just hate going to a dealership and talking to a service writer and they just make me feel like ---------- I would pay to work with someone like yourself and watch what your doing and finding out together then I would feel good about paying the bill. $$$$$$$ When I was working for CAT in the field I worked directly with the customer on his machines and I had no problem with that at all.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
I live in Florida and I have no time away from the dealership once I get home to work on vehicles. Family, dogs and all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So now the nagging emails on rating your service to me and I'm not finished and have had no satisfaction in repairing this problem. So what's your take on this? would you be happy to have the answers you gave me for the problem I still have? and have not resolved yet, without going to the dealership.
I know you can't help everyone but maybe you know someone you work with and talking helps fix lots of problems so I was talking to a freind of mine and we were talking alternators and he too mentioned that an alternator could give us these weird codes, his were different from what I'm having and I just don't want to spend another 2-3 hundred bucks when the alt. is charging albeit it a bit less then what I'm used to seeing on the equipment I have worked on.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Let me OPT OUT and reopen your question to the other experts. Maybe they can offer help that I haven't been able to.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's good maybe a fresh mind can read what we have gone thru and come up with something different or maybe the same who knows. So Thanks so far for what you have done and looking forward to whomever will be the next expert dealing with this situation I'm in, now will whomever be able to read what we have gone thru?