Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609
9290743

Ford F150: I have a 2001 F150 4x4 4.6L. The A/C will work off

Customer Question

I have a 2001 F150 4x4 4.6L. The A/C will work off and on from day to day, on this occasion however today the compressor will not even cycle. I have a set of manifold gauges and after setting to max, after a long trip and idle, it shows almost 80 PSI on the low side (ambient temp is 82F) and about 75 PSI on the high side. The compressor is spinning, the clutch is not engaging, and I know it occasionally works. But how can I test further?
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have moved the clutch by hand and it seems free.I have also jumpered the high side to no avail. Getting to the low side / cycle switch now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So after hitting the clutch plate it seems to work momentarily and then stops again....I will need to check the air gap. How is this done?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so i removed the shim and the air gap is right at 0.015 so the clutch is now engaging every 4-5 seconds. I assume the coolant is low? The guages are jumping up and down, and its hard to tell exactly where they are.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So now after testing with the manifold gauges I get a 38 PSI before cycling... and 110 on the high side, so I assume its low at this point now that I got it to cycle...
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. First off, with the ambient temp of 82 degrees and the standing pressures at only 80 on each side, the pressure in the system is too low. You need to add refrigerant to the system. Wieh it being a little low like that, I would put dye in the system and test for a leak in the system. Somewhere there is a leak that needs to be resolved. If no leak, just put more refrigerant in the system and the clutch should start engaging. You will want to see around 28 to 34 on the low (suction) and 225-250 on the high (pressure) sides. The engine fan should be running when you reach the 270 mark to bring the pressure back down to around 180 and it will kick back out, unless the engine is hot or you have a viscous fan, in which the pressure should float between 200 and 225. __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,touch, smell, hear, or taste the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.The system DOES NOT automatically give me credit from your deposit. A rating is REQUIRED. You are rating me for the information I provide,not the website. I have no control over the site fees, site errors, category errors, or how long it took for a response for these reasons.I am not an employee of this website, so please rate with a POSITIVE (green) rating for me to get credit for assisting you. You still paythe website for negatives or by not rating at all. I just get nothing from that payment you made. So please rate each answer I provide.I want you pleased with my service to you so please inform me before rating negative (red) and I will do my best to make it right. Followups for same question are always free after ratings have been made.I do have many workshop manuals, diagrams, etc that I pay to get access to out of my pocket. If one is needed, please ask and I will giveyou an offer at my technician discounted cost to you for such manuals. I never charge above that cost.Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!Jeremy
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
Here is a temp pressure chart to help you out on what you should be seeing and at what temps. This is with the fan not on and the vehicle idling with a full engagement of the A/C blowing at around 38-45 out of the vents.