Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

My 2000 Ford explorer 5.0 it died on me me while driving .

Customer Question

My 2000 Ford explorer 5.0 it died on me me while driving . I found the fuse #19 blown replace d it and it started right up but with a misfire cyl 8 and 2. I found the coil pack with those two cylinders was cracked. Installed a new one started it ran 10 mins and blew it again .
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** fuse powers both the coils, did you replace just one or both?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just one because the other seems to be working fine.
The one on passenger side stops throwing spark on cyl 2 and 8
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
ok, so with a new fuse, it runs but still has the missfire until the fuse blows?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No.. the fuse is been fine since I replaced the first time .. what blows is the ignition coil pack on the passenger side .. I put a new coil pack and runs for about 10 mins and blows again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Always a crack line from the cylinder 8 plug to the cylinder 2 plug
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
ok, I see, then you most likely have a bad wire on either 2 or 8, and it is causing high resistance and burning out the coil, hae you replaced the spark plug wires yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No . I have not replaced the wires. .. so a wire could of caused the fuse #19 to blow because I noticed that fuse controls everything from fuel to ignition
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
yes, epecially if it heats up the coil, and can blow the fuse and make the coil arc,Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The truck ran for about 15 to 20 mins and the fuse #19 burns. That fuse is the pcm power diode fuse. I replace it starts right up and dies after a few seconds
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Truck ran for about 20 minutes. Now the fuse 19 (pcm power diode) blows a few seconds after cranking it ..
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
can you remove the PCM relay, install a new fuse, and crank it over and see if the fuse blowsw?