Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

F150: 2015 tailgate reverse camera wiring color for +/- vi

Customer Question

2015 tailgate reverse camera wiring color for +/- video
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** you just looking for the color of the power wire and ground wire at the camera?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need the +/- of the camera video.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
at th camera, the power wire is purple with a brown tracer, and the ground wire is a solid black wire,Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is power. I need the video feed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already have reverse power at the second camer. Just need video feed and make harness to interchange when needed.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
the video feed LIN is on the grey with purple tracer, and the ground LIN is the solid black,Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have black, wh/gr, violet, white, white/grey
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are the three others just for info
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
in that picture, the middle one is the video feed, its grey with a purple tracer, the bklack is the ground, th other thre are for the parking sensors,Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to verify, if I DO NOT need power just video, grey is my video signal + and black is my - video lead?Before I cut the wires in a new truck ūüėä
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
yes, what are you trying to accomplish?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Adding a harness to send video from my trailer camera in place of tailgate when towing. Signal is via RCA video plug at trailer harness, need to add harness between video feed.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
so the camera on the back of the trailer uses a n rca cable for video feed??? and you are trying to send the signal to your monitor on the dash via the rca cable?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. I am assuming if I disconnect the video feed only and keep the other wires connected while towing everything SHOULD function normally. When not towing I'll silply be able to reconnect the two spliced wires.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had it this way on my 05 f350 but it was aftermarket stereo too.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
this will not work, as the truck uses a can bus system for tranfering data, not an rca cable, if the camera on the trailer uses an rca cable for video feed, it wont work, Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is a pic of the trailer wiring.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I cannot convert to this? Any ideas or use a ford factory camera on trailer?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
it worked on the 2005 because you used an aftermarket stereo, which accepted the rca video feed, but this is a can bus system, the body control module interpits the can siganl from the camera, and then sends it to the monitor, you cant use the rca cable for this, I just installed a bluetooth cammera on my 5th wheel for monitoring my boat I tow behind it, it is wireless and the set up is not expensive, paid about 90 dollars for it, it uses a seprate small monitor I installed in my dash, it works great, but this set yu have will not work on a 2012,Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where did you get the Bluetooth camera?This could work but it's alot of effort. It is a PAC adaptor for ford but it plugs into the stereo itself.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
I vgot the kit on ebay, there are several different ones, but yes, this will be extremely difficult to make work with the 2015 monitor,Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate your help. I will research Bluetooth and go from there. Can-bus must have voltage that feeds the camera I assume to be an issue unlike normal video signal feed?Again thanks!
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Anytime my friend, good luck with this, and please dont forget to rate me so I can get credit for helping, thanks in advance,Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tim,
I contacted camera source.com tech and he was able to verify the gray/violet and white/green are the correct wires. I did try and it worked as planned.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Great, glad you figured it out,Tim