Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Ford 500: My wife has a 2006 Ford 500. The warning light for

Customer Question

My wife has a 2006 Ford 500. The warning light for the AWD has been on for quite a while and there is a growling sound at low speed and a vibration can be felt. I know it could cost quite a bit to fix so I dont know if its worth fixing. The car has 89,660 kms and is in good shape except for some hail dents. Could it possibly have something removed to make it just a two wheel drive without having to fix the AWD?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** is usually caused by a bad transfer case gear, and is common, is the noise and vibration there at all times, or only when accellerating? decellerating? cruising?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The noise is there all the time but only at 20 to 50 kph.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
ok, this is in the transfer sear, and will need to be replaced, they are expensive, but there is no way to disconnect it to have only 2 wd, as its a limited slip system and if its disconnected, it wont move any of the wheels, like the conventiional 4wd, awd is a totally different system, unfortunately,Tim