jazzmaster
jazzmaster, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ase certified--32 yrs experience
8668911

F 150: 1985 F 150 Stalls been driving, new carb

Customer Question

1985 F 150 Stalls been driving, new carb
Category: Ford
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
hi, when this quits/stalls does it start right back up or do you have to wait ? and for how long if you have to wait ?when this quits ,does it stubble a bit at first or quit like you shut off the key ..thank you ..jazzmaster ..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it shuts off like turning key off, does not stumble prior, takes half a minute or a minute to start
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello did you get my answer?
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
ok, I would take of the ignition control module and have it checked out at an auto parts store .Have them check it twice .If that checks out then the distributor pick up assembly is the next thing that will fail like that .usually the pick up will heat up to a certain point then quit and will start the vehicle a minute -hours later when it first starts going bad .here is a quick test for this ,,although it's not always the case but ,the timing plug that you pull out to check or set the timing .Pull out that plug and see if it starts right up ,if it does then the pick up is suspect for the stalling .As I said this may not work all the time but it is a quick test to see or try .SO, first have the ignition module cheked out .please dont just go out and buy one without getting it checked .the reason for having it checked twice is that the tester will get it hot enough so that if it is bad under the heating up issue that it will show during the testing ...jazzmaster ..If I have helped you then please rate positive and we can still continue along .please don't rate if you need more assistance .another thing also, to check is the ecm/power relay and fule oump relay -these sometimes tend to get corroded where the connector plugs into them .these are usually located under the hood -on the drivers side fender or under the dash -drivers side foot well ..