Jan Andersson
Jan Andersson, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  Ford owner, classic & modern, ASE Master Technician
18975528

Ford F150: I have a 2007 F150 with a 5.4 liter engine. I'm

Customer Question

I have a 2007 F150 with a 5.4 liter engine. I'm having problems starting the engine at times. It's not the battery or the alternator because they are brand new. I turn the key and nothing happens. The radio and lights come on but nothing happens with the starter.
I feel like its something in the steering column. Maybe a safety switch with the transmission being in park or having a foot on the brake.
The problem seems to happen periodically.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jan Andersson replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this will be hard to find or time consuming, if the problem is not present when you are trying to diagnose. Next time it happens, put the trans in Neutral instead of park, it should start in both positions. You could also use a jump wire to jump the starter relay, to see if the starter works alone, it bypasses everything like ignition switch and safety switches etc.. MUST make sure the trans is in PARK first, because it will start in any ger this way. Leave the key OFF for safety too. If this will work, then you can use this trick in a pinch if you are stranded and have to get the engine started, then leave the ignition in Run and trans in Park. To try the relay trick, pull the starter relay out of the central junction box under the hood, and identify which pin sockets are numbered 30 and 87. Jump those together, starter should engage immediately. If not, then there is a connection problem from the relay socket to the starter, or the starter is going bad. You can also have someone turn the key (relay in place) and tap on the starter with a broom stick or something, give the metal body of it a few good whacks while the key is being turned. This often jars things enough to make a contact in a worn out starter. Since this problem may not be present for a while, I understand we won't necessarily find anything wrong for the time being. This should give you things to try when it happens. I will continue helping you if I can, but the problem needs to present itself so you can try these tests.