Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Have been working on Ford GM and Chrysler for 15+ years and ASE master certified.
27644750

Escape: We bought a used 2003 Ford Escape about 24 hours ago.

Customer Question

We bought a used 2003 Ford Escape about 24 hours ago. Took it to the carwash to wash the engine and it started running really rough. Made it about 6 blocks before it died. Started about 30 minutes later and made it the last few blocks home. It started out OK but progressed to missing and would only go about 1 mph the final bit of the journey. Now when started, the engine immediately overheats, sounds like metal on metal and squeals. What should we do?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
first off you always have to be extremely careful with washing the engine, it sounds like water got into the spark plug holes, that can be a easy fix, as for the over heating, can you tell me why you think it is overheating, there are many different symptoms so i would like to hear in your own words why you think its overheating, also, try to turn the ac on and off when the engine is running and tell me if the noise you are hearing changes, you may just have a failing compressor for the ac which is not a huge deal, but let me know about the answers to what i asked and we can continue. Lou.