Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  MasterCertified Technician with 35 years experience, Owner of two full service repair facilities
36867192

Explorer: Our lift gate latch would not close, and we noticed

Customer Question

Our lift gate latch would not close, and we noticed a black piece of plastic broken off in the latch mechanism. We removed it and the latch caught and allowed us to close it. We are currently on the road on vacation, but are now afraid to try and open it. Is this something we need to replace or have looked at right away? 2013 Ford Explorer
Category: Ford
Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 1 year ago.
You should be able to manually operate the hatch until you get home from vacation, and have the latch replaced once you get back home
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not a power lift gate, and seems to open and close okay now, but what is the plastic piece that broke off? It's rectangular, about .25 x .5 in
I apologize I assumed it was an electrical lift gate, the plastic piece is probably a guard or guide to protect from metal on metal squeaking or rattling on bumps