Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Ford Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years of Ford Technician experience. I have built many custom Fords, I also collect them.
9795573

Ford thunderbird: I think I accidentally tried to push start

Customer Question

I think I accidentally tried to push start my 1955 ford thunderbird in reverse while pushing forward. Help! Now it won't turn over. Did I totally mess up my car?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background,and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice, so feel free to add any additional info at any time. Turning that engine backwards is what you did, that shouldn't hurt a thing. The only bad thins beyond not starting is the oil pump wouldn't oil the inside of the engine. I would make sure that the engine turns over by hand, then check out the starter, battery and all the normal no start tests. Go over all of this and if you have any more questions at all, I am hereto help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.