Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Ford f350: 96 f350 4x2 dump body 5.8l Fuel gauge inopfront

Customer Question

96 f350 4x2 dump body 5.8l Fuel gauge inop
front tank resistance reading changes when fuel added, can also read currently 130ohm at switch,
cluster replaced (to repair a separate issue)
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have removed dash to check both wires from sending units in that area, as well as the wire from the switch to the cluster. All are ok. Checked wiring along frame rail for damage also.
Looking for a definitive test to find out what needs to be repaired or replaced.
The sending units are a little pricey and this vehicle has 2 tanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe walk through how to voltage drop test the sending unit wires?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.I have enclosed the test steps in the link below to test the sending units as well as the gauge. Run through them and let me know if you need any help. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view the steps.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Fuel%20gauge%20test%20Jul%2022.pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Step one has me disconnect switch (in dash, correct?) And gauge should go up to full.
This does not happen, gauge stays at about half.
Thank you for taking the time to help with this. I will be with the truck til 11pm tonight, I'd love to get it diagnosed
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Yes that is correct , disconnect the selector switch and turn the key on ad a properly working gauge should peg full. If the gauge is not with the switch disconnected then that usually means the replacement gauge is defective. Check it again and let me know, Im not likely going to be on at 11PM but In here everyday at 5AM eastern for about 12 hours everyday. Post back and I will respond as soon as I can okay.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any way to test the cluster? I'll hunt around for another gauge in the meantime
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
About the only way to test the cluster is to check power and ground which you very likely already have or the all the gauges would be dead. If the gauge is only moving to half on both tanks its not likely the sending units on both tanks.