Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have 1990 f150 starts fine when cold but won" start when

Customer Question

I have 1990 f150 starts fine when cold but won" start when hot 5.0L changed the starter new battery relay checking ground connections
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background,and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice, so feel free to add any additional info at any time. It sounds a lot like a high resistance connection on one of the battery cables. I would take both battery cables off, plus the cable from the relay to the starter and clean both ends of all the cables. Then make sure they are tight. Clean and tight is very important. If they look good it only means they look good, it doesn’t mean they will carry enough power hot. I have been through this before many times, a bad connection is the most common problem. If you have a load tester you can load test the battery cables to see if they will carry power. Cables can also go bad where the terminal connects to the cable. This is a hidden problem that can be spotted with a load tester, or a voltage drop test. Go over all of this and if you have any more questions at all, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.