James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

Ford f150 xlt fx4: , ? I have a 2003 ford f150 xlt , Im

Customer Question

Hello, ? I have a 2003 ford f150 xlt , Im installing some off road lights, where is the best location for me to run my hot wire.? Looking to hook up to accessory when switched on.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello is this going to be wired to a relay or just power and ground?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This product has a relay
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
So you are wanting the relay to power up with accessory power?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes. well the reason i dont want to hook up my hot wire straight to power is because my on off switch has a led power light on it. I dont want that power light indicator on all the time at my switch. Im just trying to find a place to hook up my hot wire to when i turn my ignition on. That way i dont drain my battery.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
The led indicator will only illuminate if the switch is on if wired correctly. Unless you are wanting it on all the time when the vehicle is running. The relay is going to need battery power on either the switch side or coil side. If you ran battery power to the coil and switch side of the relay you can use the switch as a ground for the coil. This way when you close the switch it will energize the relay and that way you only run a wire from the relay to the switch. This will allow you to run the least amount of wires and still have the operation work correctly.