Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Explorer: Got an issue with either my trans or transfer case

Customer Question

Got an issue with either my trans or transfer case on my 96 xlt explorer auto 6. Have a grinding noise in every gear except park (including neutral). Had it sit for a few days out the front of my mechanics, tried to give it a drive just recently and all was fine. Got a little way around corner and now have problems. I can not select any gear and just have this grinding noise
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
I believe in your case the transfer case shift fork has failed and the transfer case is getting stuck between low and high, causing the noise and no gear operation. Another possible cause is the rear planetary in the transmission bad. If its the transfer case, then it will roll while in park. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris