Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

Ford 500: I've got a ford 500 that won't start. just changed

Customer Question

I've got a ford 500 that won't start. just changed the starter and it ran fine for a few minutes, and died three times (when put in reverse) and now won't start
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
battery is fine, alternator is fine (both looked into by the garage that changed the starter, and the one that has it now)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.
Hello there. Welcome to our site. The starter's job is just to crank the engine; once the computer detects engine RPM, it supplies fuel and spark for the engine to run. So, if the starter is doing its job but the engine won't start, we need to find out what's missing: fuel or spark. We will need to test spark, fuel pressure and injector pulse. Are you equipped to do that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not at the moment but i do have a few more bits of info. The water pump is leaking and has some build up. the starter is directly below the pump. when the key is turned there is nothing. no ticking sound like the starter isn't getting enough power or whining like the engine is turning over but getting no fuel. the fuse that dictates the starter is fine (also checked at the garage) and the solenoid and starter are in the same module. The battery was checked, and even though that was the situation we tried jumping it, obviously didn't work. it's at a garage that went through it for about 2 hours and found nothing and it still doesn't want to work.
I cringe every time I hear a customer state "the car is at a garage that went through it for about 2 hours and found nothing". That is a clear indication of incompetence on the part of the garage.I'm positive you and I can diagnose and repair this issue. The caveat being that, while I can guide you through all the technical steps, you'll need tools and some mechanical skills to execute those steps.How would you like to proceed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well the difference here is that they didn't charge me for 2 hours of work on their end, and holding it there until tomorrow for me. due to the fact the the garage is a little far (5-7 miles) actually going through the car isn't a possibility, and with working 12 hour nights being up right now is not proactive for me. However i did just talk to the garage again, and spoke to a manager to give me details about about what they did. There is no power going to the starter (still not sure how that affected it shutting down randomly entering reverse but i digress) they checked all relays, and cannot find the problem from there. they advise taking it to a dealership, but if i can get it up and running without that i'd love it.
I'm confused about what exactly is it that you need from me. Can you please clarify?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Diagnostic advise at to what the problem could be. he's checked wiring, relays, solenoids and found no problem. checked the starter and it's fine, and there's still no power going to the starter and was randomly shutting down in reverse.
The key to diagnose this issue is on the starter relay. Ask your mechanic to look at the diagram I'll attach in a couple of minutes and check to see if the PCM is providing ground to the control side of the starter relay. If it isn't, then the issue is related to the PCM or the Passive Anti Theft System (PATS) for either of which he'll need a capable scan tool to test and diagnose. Best Regards.
Please see attached diagram. Best Regards.
Hi again. Just checking to see if the information I provided helped you solve your issue. If it did, then kindly accept and rate my answer now. If it didn't, please reply so we can keep working.Best Regards.