Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Taurus: I have a 1997 Ford Taurus that keeps burning up the

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Ford Taurus that keeps burning up the blower fan relay. I have put in a new blower fan and motor but every 2 weeks or so the relay burns out and have to replace it again. I had to replace my alternator a couple of weeks ago and now the car has been failing to start on occasion. I don't know if this is somehow related to the problem I have been having with the blower relay. What would it cost to fix this problem or problems?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** say there are scorch marks, is this where the relay plugs in , that has the marks?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. The scorch marks around the "oulet" where the relay plugs in.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
ok, usually this is caused by a bad blower motr drawing too many amps, and was probably the original problem, but if it burned the socket, it cannot not make full contact, and will overheat the relay and burn it out, there are 2 ways to fix this, one is to open the relay box up and solder new spade terminals into the relay socket, , the easiest is to replace the relay box, but is more expensive,Tim