A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

F-150 Lariat: I have a 2013 F-150 ecoboost truck with 27000

Customer Question

I have a 2013 F-150 ecoboost truck with 27000 miles. When I drive around town for 30-40 minutes and I decelerate to turn a corner, upon accelerating up to normal speed (30 mph) the engine hesitates for several seconds (3-4 seconds) and misfires and emites a whistling sound. After missing for several seconds the engine seems to correct itself and then accelerate. A wrench appears in the information display and the engine check lite eventually lites up. Previous to the 30-40 minute warm up the truck accerates fine and I have towed a trailer with it for hours on the highway with no problem.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.I will try my best to help you with your question.
Have you had the PCM (Engine Computer) checked for trouble codes for the check engine light and wrench lights coming on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. My appointment with Ford to get that done is late next week and I'm wondering if it is alright to drive the truck with this occurring.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
You should be alright. As long as the check engine light does not flash. When it flashes instead staying on constantly, there could be damage to the catalytic converters.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help. Any ideas as to what it might be?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
It could the throttle body, the transmission, fuel pump or a sensor or wiring issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome. Thank you.