Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609
9290743

Does the 2002 Ford Escape 3.0 v6 have a timing bel or Read more: http

Customer Question

Does the 2002 Ford Escape 3.0 v6 have a timing bel or timing chain? The mechanic I have it at who says I need power steering pump replaced said I need timing belt replaced too and since they have to take it off to replace pump they would do it then. Also said when they went to take pump off some hose with wires in it that was attached to pump fell apart in their hands so now I need to replace that part $70. So a total of $600 for pump and timing "belt" plus $70 for part that fell apart. That total price includes labor. Are they correct?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am not in a position to speak on what you were told other than your question so,, to answer you and be 100% and my thoughts? this engine does NOT have a timing Belt, It is a chain to last life of engine, NO need to even come close to chain doing PS pump and sound slike the broke something in the high pressure PS hose, it has a sensor.I understand the pump has to be removed to do the chain, understand it is part of the timing chain job, BUt it s a chain NOT a belt. It does not require being changed, Although I am a 37 years tech, I own a drive a Mazda Tribute each day with the 3.0 and have 210 K on it and chain has never given a problem, Power steering hoses have, but NOt the chain, I can sedn pics as proof but, in my opinion? mine ONLY? if being todl a belt by the mechanic now another part broken? seems time for second opinion, meaning another shop. Sorry to be so blunt
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I agree but now they say car is not drivable with out the part that (fell apart) do you have any recommadations for shops in southbay (San Jose) I can tow it to. I have AAA PLUS so I can be towed for free. Just a pain in the %^#. But I don't want to pay $600 plus if they are not doing the right job and I was told by someone else this did not sound correct. They said they could not work on it until part came in so I was going to leave a message today to tell them not to touch it just don't know where to go from there.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
The SUV can not be driven with the high pressure line bad. I am sorry, Has to be towed . Mechanics? we could not be further away from each other so no clue on that, sorry, I am in DE,Most any shop can diagnose and repair the problem but sounds like the first shop has failed, IMO ONLY
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just gave my credit card info for $28 for the month do I have to pay an extra $18 to talk to someone or did they not charge my card for the $28
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't want to pay $18!if i just paid $28 so how do I find out
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
I do not have any control over customer side, I will get the link and send to you to contact them as well as I can report your question
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
I think,***@******.***
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This same mechanic told me I had to steam clean my engine (have it taken to a place cuz if I do it myself I could be fined $10000) cuz there was oil all over. Well they got it there cuz they replaced my oil pan when they said it was leaking and tried to fix that with an oversized plug. So I paid $125 for stream cleaning and now they are telling me all this crap. This is after back end April (first time I went to them) they did a 90k check up on my escape cuz it had not been driven in a few months and only thing they found wrong was oil leak where they put oversized plus and it continued to leak so had pan replaced. When took it in for the smoking thing they first said oil leak but had to have car steam cleaned. I was thinking did they forget that they just replaced my pan?
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
well, not on their side? BUT, I have delt with same thing several times over 37 years doing this.Sometimes. we have to make a suggest to a customer for a engine cleaning so we can zero in on a leak, coolant, oil etc, Now,, in todays world? we have dyes we add to the oil use special light to locate leaks, Well, even after an oil leak, PS leak and so on, really not a bad idea to be sure engine is cleaned, Over time oil etc can affect computer controls, I am not there, not looking , only replying based on your questions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand the engine cleaning and they said they had put dye in the oil. That's not what I am concerned about. It's the timing belt/chain thing. And them wanting to charge me for a part my car does not have and the convince of the car not being drivable and when I was checking prices they were way over the top and I thought it was just cuz of timing belt now to find I do not have a timing belt the price should not be so high and how do I know if they are even right? Do you in your vast expertise think I should have it towed somewhere else or is that going to end up costing me even more in long run? And if I keep it there what do I say about timing belt thing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I contacted customer support about my account and my payment but still waiting response so until then I still have to txt. Not gonna get reimed by another thing and pay double. I need all my money to pay for my car to get fixed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hate pulling the single mom and don't know (know some but not this stuff) so that is why I am asking for your opinion on what to do. I have limited income and can't afford to get #%< by some mechanic whether it's intentional or not I can't afford to pay for unnecessary stuff or have them whether it was my car or there error which they we'll never admit to have more issues arrive but I do not know if this is normal or not and I don't have my dad around to ask anymore
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
I understand your questions and concerns, I have sent as much information as I can, You have a ticket in about charges. Please understand at this point? I have to opt out and resent to Customer service, I feel I have done everything to answer your original question, I feel I answered your question pertaining to chain or belt.We are drifting off to more and more questions.,I can relate, trust me, I fully understand but.. from my end? You have questioned charges and we need to deal with that as well. I am resending your concern to CS, Please do not reply till you receive response form them etc, Many thanks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. I owned a shop at one time in Bakersfield, CA and the comment that you will be fined $10k to get your engine cleaned is ridiculous!!! I'm sorry, but that ticks me off when I read stuff like that for these dirty shops doing dirty deeds make all the mechanics and shop owners look bad. On a shop, go to Akin's. I've used them in that area before and they were honest and inexpensive. HERE is the link for them. When you contact them, tell them you need to get your vehicle towed to them and if they can get you right in or get you in soon. Tell them that you are getting ripped off by another shop claiming parts are needed for your vehicle that don't even exist on the vehicle. They will do you right. You can even tell them that I recommended you to go there. They will know that you have a technician monitoring the bill. On the current shop, tow the vehicle out of there and tell them that you are getting your local state attorney general office involved. Report them. To charge that fee for doing a wash off of the vehicle by claiming you will get a $10k fine is against the law to say in California. If I did that and was caught, I would have had my shop shut down for it. The Bureau of Automotive Repair in California takes complaints seriously and investigates every complaint they get. They are quick, too. You can report that HERE. Please repot them for making a claim for a fine to you to force you to get something not needed, to claim you need a part and to try and charge for it when your vehicle doesn't even have that part, it is all fraud and frowned upon. Tell them you will only pay for the time to have the part removed and the diagnostic, which should not be no more than 1 hour of their shop time. Tell them you want the charges to be done per the standard labor manual and you will verify it before paying it, then tow your vehicle out of that shop. They are clearly taking advantage of you. That is my opinion based on what I have done for repairs in that state myself. __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,touch, smell, hear, or taste the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.The system DOES NOT automatically give me credit from your deposit. A rating is REQUIRED. You are rating me for the information I provide,not the website. I have no control over the site fees, site errors, category errors, or how long it took for a response for these reasons.I am not an employee of this website, so please rate with a POSITIVE (green) rating for me to get credit for assisting you. You still paythe website for negatives or by not rating at all. I just get nothing from that payment you made. So please rate each answer I provide.I want you pleased with my service to you so please inform me before rating negative (red) and I will do my best to make it right. Followups for same question are always free after ratings have been made.I do have many workshop manuals, diagrams, etc that I pay to get access to out of my pocket. If one is needed, please ask and I will giveyou an offer at my technician discounted cost to you for such manuals. I never charge above that cost.Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!Jeremy