James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

Ford f250: Working on a 2005 f250 6.0. A/c compressor clutch

Customer Question

Working on a 2005 f250 6.0. A/c compressor clutch not coming on. Clutch works with 12 volts directly to it. Ohmed out ground side of the harness at clutch and got 0 Ohms-good. Ohmed from Signal side of connector at the clutch back to the a/c relay, and got .5 ohms-good. Found i am not getting any power to the signal side of a/c relay to turn it on. i also checked wiring behind dash, all looked good i pulled on wires behind a/c controls found no broken wires. what should i be looking into to find why i am not getting power to a/c relay. Also all fuses were checked
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for choosing just answer. Can I get your vin number please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5eb14846
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
My system can't use the last 8 digits I would need the entire number. My next question is this automatic temp control or manual?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1ftsw21p95eb14846 and auto
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
The fuse for the switch side of the relay is under the hood. It is a 10afuse. On the driver side by the master cylinder you will find a 10a fuse for the AC clutch. Is it ok? If the fuse is ok the next thing I would check is the diode itself. If the diode goes bad it will prevent voltage from making it to the compressor as well.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
10 amp fuse is fine what diode are you talking about. Anyway you could relay me a wiring diagram. I am a diesel tech for peterbilt, I am familiar with troubleshooting and a wiring diagram could make this easier for both of us.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I jump the relay I can voltage down to clutch, I am not getting voltage to ether side that powers the relay
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mt6xjagwe5z3y1y/2015-07-20%2010.20.34.jpg?dl=0
This link shows the AC circuit. To have power on neither side is off. Fuse 23 inside the vehicle is for the coil side. Once you look over the diagram we can go over it together.