A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

Ford f250: I'm having this problem right now. It's done it

Customer Question

I'm having this problem right now. It's done it once before but corrected itself on its own. Key in ignition, all sounds normal, then starting system fault is displayed and nothing happens when I turn ignition to start. 2011 F250 king ranch 4x4 6.7l auto crew cab long bed. Using what I believe to be a factory key with "SA" inscribed on it. I just tried resetting everything by disconnecting both batteries for 15 minutes, reconnecting, then turning key to on position and waiting 15 minutes. Nothing changed. I'm 6 hours from home. Help!
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.I will try my best to help you with your question.
The problem is with the PATS chip key or the PATS system itself. You will need to get the trouble codes from the PCM (Engine Computer)and the Instrument Cluster along with the PATS module. The problem could be the key or the PATS transponder ring around the ignition key cylinder in the steering column. There is no by passing this system either, because the modules in the vehicle need to see the chip in the key to allow the vehicle to start or it thinks it is being stolen and disables the vehicle.