James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

2000 F-250 power stroke. Turn signals don't work some times

Customer Question

2000 F-250 power stroke. Turn signals don't work some times but hazards do. I've installed new turn signal switch and it didn't fix it.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for choosing just answer. It sounds like you flasher relay is bad. The flasher relay uses two separate wires. One for the hazards and one for the turn signals. Since the hazards work work it means that part of the relay is good. Since the turn signals don't work I think the flasher relay is bad and needs to be replaced. Make sure you test the turn signal fuse first. This should correct your concern.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also have a 1999 f-350, I switched relays and it still didn't work and the turn signals in the 99 still worked.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a multi meter to test for power?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
If you remove the steering column covers let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've had the column removed a couple of times already. I've installed a new turn signal switch and that didn't fix it either.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
When the key is on there should be a light blue wire. Does it have 12v when the key is in the on position?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I put the column back together ( needed truck ) when I have a chance, I'll get it back in the shop and work on it again.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Since the relay was replaced most likely the wire isn't getting power to the turn signal switch. I have seen this wire broken before. You can overlay a new wire and repair the circuit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For about 2 months the signals would at 1 time and not the next, if it's a broken wire I'm not sure that would be the problem. The past week they haven't worked at all
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
The wire is also known for pulling out of the back of the connector?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, from the back of the pull in on the turn signal switch? Right now I've been out with the truck and haven't had time to get it back in my shop. That's why my replies are a day or two. I feel it's a connection somewhere, because it would work and then not for about 2 months. (depending on the work that I'm doing, this truck could set for a couple weeks and not be driven)
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
The spot for a loose connection is the turn signal switch connector. The wire retainers break and when the tilt steering is down it pulls out the wires and when you move the steering up it can start again. Guessing at diagnosing can overlook the issue very easily