A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

Ford sportrac: 2004 ford sporttrac 4.0L single overhead cam,

Customer Question

2004 ford sporttrac 4.0L single overhead cam, today turns over will not start, yesterday afternoon launched boat and backed in too far that the tailpipe was under water for 30 seconds while engine was running. After we pulled away it sputtered and slowly died and now won't start. the truck is not out of gas and to make sure we put 5 gallons in but still same problem.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.I will try my best to help you with your question.
You will need to do a manual compression test on all 6 cylinders. This will evaluate the basic mechanical parts of the engine. Also, inspect the spark plugs while they are out and see if there is any water in the cylinders. Each cylinder should be around 175 psi. This is the best way to start diagnosing this problem. Also, checking trouble codes in the PCM.
Do these test and please let me know the results.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mr. Penland, There is no water inside the cylinders. Is it possible the fuel pump got wet and shorted out. It was not in deep water.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
The fuel pump is on top of the fuel tank half way up the vehicle. It is sealed to the fuel tank. You can also disconnect the fuel line to the fuel filter and turn the key to on and see if you get fuel from the fuel pump.