EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

I have a 2000 ranger 2.5 l. I changed the engine a couple months

Customer Question

I have a 2000 ranger 2.5 l. I changed the engine a couple months ago after 444,220 original miles, also changed fuel pump & filter same time. The other day it left me sitting, just stopped running wouldn't start back up, got towed home. Will start & run on starter fluid but dies. Seems like no fuel, have 3/4 full tank. Any suggestions ?
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Hi. You may be correct that you have nor fuel pressure. You could easily install a fuel pressure gauge onto the engine and see if pressure is being made when the key is turned on. The rangers also had an issue with the fuel pressure cut-off switch. It is located near the passengers feet. Find this switch and make sure that power is traveling through the switch to the fuel pump.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I can hear the fuel pump run when I turn key on & have no pressure what's next, replace fuel pump again ?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
I would pull the line off before the fuel filter and make sure the pump is not pumping fuel. Then you will need to remove the pump and inspect it. There just may be a rubber hose on the pump assembly that came off and fuel is spraying back into the tank. Have seen that before.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Before the filter or after ? There are two from the tank to the filter one coming from front of filter.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
There are 2 lines because there is a pressure regulator build into the fuel filter. Pull the line after. Pull both the lines in the front of the filter. It doesn';t matter. Just check for fuel flowing from the pump.