Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

E350 passenger van: have swaying at hwy speeds, 2005 e350 passenger

Customer Question

have swaying at hwy speeds, 2005 e350 passenger van, no customizations, two rear seats pulled out, and it doesn't matter is I'm carrying passengers or not, load or not.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Did the mechanic who did the front-end alignment check out the entire front end for loose/worn parts? Did you tell him about the swaying?
What did he say in response?
At what speed does it sway?
Are you towing anything?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes they said the front end looked good and that the steering was tight.
I told them about the swaying, it was one of the main reasons why i had brought it in
They can't see why it would still sway. I have arrangements to take him on a ride along to see what's happening.
It sways at higher speeds... you can notice it at forty already and it gets worse the faster you go.
I do not tow anything
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Well, if it's not the front end causing it, perhaps something is loose or worn on the rear end/axle.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Unless, of course it's just the body swaying and not the frame, then it's most likely worn out body bushings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like two more questions I can run past the shop that is working with me on this. This shop is a reputable company called Pomp's Tires... I think they are regional to the Wisconsin area. Are there any other area's or suspects for this issue? Could the Hankook tires be an issue?
I've driven for an airport shuttle service that use this same vehicle. So I am very familiar with how they should feel on the road.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
I don't think the tires are the issue, especially since they are light truck tires, hence the lt designation in the description you told me. If they were not lt (light truck) the numbers on the tires would start off with a p, meaning passenger car tires.