EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

F250 lariat: I had a drain water separator message come up

Customer Question

I had a drain water separator message come up and before I could get out of traffic a wrench icon started cycling with the drain icon. I drained the water separator and that message is gone but now I try to start my truck and it doesn't want to start and when it does it dies after a few seconds. I Gane an 08 f250 6.4l
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Hi. You should try turning the key on, and at the same time have someone hold down the shrader valve on the fuel cooler return line on the engine. Leave the key on for about 30 seconds. DO this a few times to try and get the air out.. ALso did you replace the filter as well?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've been cycling the key on and off and I'm not getting anything out the Schrader valve. I don't hear Asia and I'm not seeing fuel. I have not changed the filters yet.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
You maybe should at least check the lower filter. In that fuel seperator/fuel housing is the low pressure fuel pump. That should be working and pumping fuel to the shrader valve at approx 5-8 psi for 30 seconds when the key is on. And constantly when the truck is running.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So how long should I depress the Schrader valve for? Just the first 30 seconds then cycle?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
The shrader valve needs to be held down while the key is turned on. for about 30 seconds.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So just continue until no more air comes out? And reset the code?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Yes. As long as the pump is running. If this takes a while then something is not right and further diag, not just bleeding will be neccesary.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would I be looking for in the lower filter?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
It would be full of debris on it. Usually brown and slimy too. You will know if it is bad when you see it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I check the low pressure pump while that's out? Make sure the pump is working?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
No. To check the pump you need to have a good filter in there. Make sure there is power and ground at the pump. And then using a fuel pressure gage install it in line right after the pump housing. You could also install a fuel gauge on the shrader valve, but it is more recommended to get a setup to check fuel pressure right after the pump housing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I changed the filter. It was pretty dirty. I've been trying to bleed the lines and I'm still not getting fuel out of the Schrader valve. I cam hear the pump running and feel dial flowing in the lines. Does it take a lot of cycles to bleed it after a filter change?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
No it does not. Maybe 3 or 4 cycles. What is the fuel pressure?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't checked it but the pump is running.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Ok. If you do not have good fuel pressure you are wasting time trying to bleed. You can add some fuel to make sure there is nothing wrong in the pickup of the fuel tank.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also do I need to clear the codes before bleeding
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
You do not have to. But you can.