Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I purchased a 1999 Taurus from an estate that had been sitting

Customer Question

I purchased a 1999 Taurus from an estate that had been sitting for about 8 years. I have replaced about everything except the radiator cap and I still have a rough start-up idle and a check engine light with a 171 code. The tank was cleaned and recoated, new fuel pump, new fuel filter, new plugs and wires, new mass air flow sensor, smoke check for vacuum leaks, left and right O2 sensors and God only know what else I have replaced trying to solve my issues. Now it acts and feels like the transmission jumps out of gear when I start to pull away from a stop after 15 or 20 miles so I had the Xmission serviced, it still does it and the check engine light is on. Can you answer this mystery and help me or should I toss a quarter in it and stick a match to it ?
Submitted: 1 year ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Ford
Expert:  fordtechsuzukitech25 replied 1 year ago.
is the engine miss firing or is the transmission neutraling out? if it is missing, did you do a compression test to see if the engine is ok, could also be an injector not firing, if its just a trans. issue they had problems with the pump and shaft in trans.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
51k on the car and compression check was done. When I start up after sitting overnight or all day at work, it cranks fine and idles up momentarily then drops down and starts skipping, sometimes shuts off and I have to restart, can't drive until it warms up without it skipping and lunging. After about 10-15 miles if I stop at a light or stop sign and take off again it feels like it just drops out of gear momentarily then chirps the tires and snatches before going through the gears.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After it warms up for a couple minutes (it's 94 degrees in Georgia now) it seems to run ok, not great with the exception of the never ending "service engine soon" light that keeps coming on after resetting it.
the neutralling out a stop signs, sounds lie low fluid o filter fell out. easiest way to check is over fill trans.1 to 2 quarts over full, and see If trans. is better.
the misfire could be a valve hanging open from carbon, I would get a can of upper intake cleaner, when engine is hot you put a small hose in can and other to vac. port, run until engine stalls or can is 3/4 empty then shut off engine and let sit for at least 6 to 8 hours,it should clan the valves
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fluid level is at the top of the grid marks (full line) on the trans dip stick, it was filled upon service and I have already tried the vacuum port cleaning method, running out of options here and you haven't solved my problems either.