Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Ford F250: I have a 1992 7.3 with a Banks Turbo it starts fine

Customer Question

I have a 1992 7.3 with a Banks Turbo it starts fine when it is cold but after about an hour with a few stops it will not start, but it turns over fine. If I let it sit for an hour it will start.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.
I have seen this problem many times with the 7.3l IDI, The problem is the starter is getting weak and not spinning the engine fast enough, the engine as to crank fast enough to spin the injection pump a minimum of 175rpm. Replace the starter and that should fix your starting issues.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will give it a try , but it sounds as if is turning over just as it would if it were cold . Is a change something I could hear , it is my first diesel, so I will take it to a shop and have it changed Thank you
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.
It is very hard to hear the difference, but when the engine gets hot, the starter drags just enough to cause the problem. I had the very same problem with my 1991 F250 7.3l.