HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

F-250: When the transmission temperature gauge reaches half

Customer Question

When the transmission temperature gauge reaches half of the gauge, the engine begins to wanting to stop, and it feels as if the rear wheels braking. you step on the accelerator and not raise the rpm more than 1000, and the gauge drops to a quarter of the gauge. and when it starts to work normal. whenever you reach the half of the gauge... IPR 23%. In addition the battery is switched on indicator light.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
Hello, most likely a problem with the transmission fluid temperature sensor, if it is reading too high it willl put the vehicle into a limp home mode and also cause harsh engagement. It may also set a code for the TFT. If that is the case I would replace both the trans fluid temp sensor and the transmission internal wiring harness assembly and service the trans while the pan and filter are removed to the the repair.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replace the Tft and fluid the oil pan are clean
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
DOES NOT GIVE. ME ANY CODE OF TFT. IT BEGINS WHEN THE FAILURE IS WHEN THE GAUGE OF THE TEMPERATURE OF THE TRANSMISSION REACHES HALF THE GAUGE. THEN AT THE TIME THE ENGINE IS FAILING, IT IS WHEN THE TEMPERATURE DROPS TO QUARTER OF THE GAUGE.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And start working normal the engine.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
What is the tft temp reading when it acts up? Ford recomend replacing the trans harness with the tft sensor. they can cause issues and I have had one where I only replaced the tft and had to go back in and replace the harness and it resolved the concern
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
already change transmission temperature sensor, and change the oil, filter, clean the cooling lines, change the filter in the cooling lines. now the temp gauge works normally... now the faillure is as when fails the throttle in gasoline engines... any ideas of this fault in this F-250 6.0 DIESEL 2003...?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
Ok you mentioned the IPR, you have no codes, and also the battery light on the cluster is staying on, not charging?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
Take a look at the accelerator pedal sensor, the truck is fly by wire no throttle cables, when the concern acts up with the key on engine of push the throttle pedal down and make sure it reads wide open throttle if it only moves a little bit voltage wise and stps I would suspect a bad accelerator pedal sensor. They typically fail and have no throttle response and just idle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Key on. Engine off. Pedal to the floor.
APP 99.50% APP1 0.68v APP2 4.02v APP3 3.39vwithout pressing the pedal.
APP 0.00% APP1 4.02v APP2 1.44v APP3 0.89vEngine run on idle.
APP 0.00% APP1 4.02v APP2 1.45v APP3 0.89v
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
Ok and what is goin on with the battery light?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replace the alternator. Same situation with the engine...
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
Ok, im goin to open this question to see if another expert can offer more help.