Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

F-150 FX4: I have a 2004 F-150 non-heritage with 5.4L. Was

Customer Question

I have a 2004 F-150 non-heritage with 5.4L. Was taking a while to start, 5-10 seconds of cranking. My mechanic said needed a new fuel pump. Ran fine after starting and never quit running. He said it was taking a while to build up pressure. Anyway in doing research I saw the numerous issues with the FPDM and decided to replace that as a preventative measure and maybe even fix the starting issue. Replaced it no problem and now the truck doesn't start at all. Cranks fine but doesn't even fire. I'm not showing any codes on my analyzer. I tried plugging the old FPDM in to see if it would start and it still doesn't start, just cranks. Any ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.
Are you able to do some testing at the FPDM and the fuel system?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should be able to...I have a call right now for work but should be done with that in 30 minutes or so
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Okay I have enclosed the steps in the link below to check the signal in and out of the FPDM to the pump. I have also enclosed the wiring diagram for reference, run through the steps and post back with the results and we can work from there. Copy and paste the links to your browser to open and view them. Im here all day if you need help.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Driver%20module%20Jul%2014.pdfhttps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Fuel%20pump%20drive%20mod%20Wiring%20Jul%2014.pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I don't have a gauge to check the fuel pressure. should the pressure reading show up on my scan tool?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Yes the will show on the scanner.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have the right jumpers for that connector.Strange that it ran before replacing the module and now won't run with either new or old
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
You can make some jumpers with bulk wires, just strip the ends off and make them up. I would start with checking to see if you have power in and out of the inertia switch.