James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

Sport trac: ive been having a clicking noise under the dash

Customer Question

ive been having a clicking noise under the dash for about a month and a half now. A month ago my 2004 sport trac 4.0 started fine and died just after I took off. started back up but ran crappy. I limped it the mile and a half to my house. The next day it started up and ran fine. sometimes this clicking noise is really rapid and does it at random while driving. I took it to my mechanic and he said there were just old codes, nothing good and recent so he cleared the codes in case it happens again he will have something recent to look at. This morning it wont start or even crank but I hear a kind of chug chug chug chug noise from under the hood, but its definitely not the engine cranking. There is all the clicking and the dash board lights are all lit up and in the odomenter area it even says "check gas cap". Nah, it aint that simple with all this clicking going on. I beleive the problem relates to this clicking under the dash that often times does it at random while driving, sometimes very fast other times just a click or two. gonna have AAA tow it to my mechanic today but this is starting to be a real problem.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for choosing just answer. When you turn the key on without the engine on do you here a clicking noise?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, sometimes but not always. When I am driving as well it does it sometimes but not all the time. At times it may click a time or two and at times its like a super robot pounding away on a type writer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
FYI. I'm going to be leaving work, where I'm at now, to meet up with AAA in about 30 minutes.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like you may have two different issues going on. One issue sounds like a plastic motor broke inside the dash. Usually when this happens the clicking noise happens when you try and change the heater from cool to hot and vise versa. That is normally what the clicking noise is that you have.
When the vehicle died on you it almost sounds like you lost fuel pressure. That is the very first thing unwound check for being low. The vehicle might need to be driven with a fuel pressure gauge installed to see if it goes below what it should be or even else ops off. The fuel pressure if it goes low there is no way do for it to set a code in order to diagnose it. It is one of those things that needs to be tested physically and not with a scan tool for issues.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. The clicking noise happens at any random time. Like when the only thing I am doing is steering the truck down the road. I have to leave work now to meet up with AAA but I will leave this open so I can see your response and get back with you in the morning if that is okay?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
That is ok. The clicking noise I was describing can be completely random too. To eliminate it you just need to cycle from hot to cold and also defrost vent and floors. If these work it eliminates a blend door as an issue.