martyzs180
martyzs180, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Worked as a ford mechanic for 3 years, also specialise in all other makes and models
20682938

F550: Moose, I own a 2008 f 550 my reverse lights stopped

Customer Question

Hi Moose, I own a 2008 f 550 my reverse lights stopped working. I've checked all of the fuses and relays I can find . Is there a trick I'm missing.
Category: Ford
Expert:  martyzs180 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and welcome to JA.COM, i will try to assist you with your problem, The reverse switch is built in to the (TR) transmission range sensor, this sensor is located on the drivers side of the transmission where the shift cable is attached. It probably has an internal fault and is causing this condition.Here is the link to the workshop instructions for the switch..http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/bkitchener/2011-07-15_040252_tr_sensor_f.pdf... just copy and paste the link, hope this helps, kindest regards martin.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey this is a great site and you confirmed what I kinda thought. I'll try it
Expert:  martyzs180 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there thanks for the reply, i hope it helps somewhat, if you require any further help please ask, if not please press the GREEN BUTTON to accept as this is how i get paid, once again kindest regards martin.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm buying the sensor today. I'll install it and let you know. Thanks for the help
Expert:  martyzs180 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, ok let me know how you get on, i hope it helps somewhat, if you require any further help please ask, if not please press the GREEN BUTTON to accept as this is how i get paid, once again kindest regards martin
Expert:  martyzs180 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, just a quick follow up to see how you are getting on with the issues you have, if you require any further help please ask, if not please press the GREEN BUTTON to accept as this is how i get paid, once again kindest regards martin.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Installed the sensor still no back up lights. I have power going to the sensor. Any other suggestions ?
Expert:  martyzs180 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, i take it you still have no power/feed to the reverse light holder or earth, please advise, kind regards martin.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have power to the sensor, but none to the reverse lights .
Expert:  martyzs180 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, sorry for the delay i had personal issues to deal with..ok, so there is power at the sensor but not at the reverse lights, since the sensor is new you must either have a fuse/relay wiring fault, since you have checked the fuses/relay you must have either a break in the feed to the reverse light or there is no earth, you could try to extend the earth from one of the rear lights or place a new earth temporary to see if this works, if not its got to be a feed issue, please advise, kindest regards martin.