EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

Ford F250 SD 5.4: I have a 99 F250 SD 5.4. When I turn the

Customer Question

I have a 99 F250 SD 5.4. When I turn the key it clicks but will not start. We have a new starter, battery, and fender mounted silonoid but still it makes one sound and will not crank. Checked all fuses and switched PCM relays around and nothing. All dash lights are normal.
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Hi. What happens if you jump the 2 big terminals on the solenoid on the firewall? Use a thick wire and touch the two terminals together or use a screwdriver.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just clicks no turn over.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Jumping that is sending power directly to the starter. I suggest you see if the engine can turn over by hand. Make sure it is not locked up. Let me know. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Took sepentien off to check for accessory lockups and took an 11/16 socket 1/2 drive breaker bar and turned crank pull half a turn. I am double checking part# ***** solenoid seems correct. Crazy issue this one is.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
The other thing i have seen cause this, is poor battery cables. Usually corrosion on the positive cable at the battery end. You can also use a booster pack and ground the block with it, then put power to the starter directly to make sure it is going to work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have a 2012 Escape and I hooked the jumper cables to and touch the solenoid on starter wirh other end and engaged starter with them but quit after I removed them.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Ok. SO the starter works. You are probably not get full voltage from the battery to spin the starter over in the f250. Check the battery cables. You may have to cut some of the cables back at the battery post and install a new end if there is corrosion.