A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

2010 Raptor F-150: Where are the aribags sensors and the EDR

Customer Question

Where are the aribags sensors and the EDR (Event Data Recorder) on a 2010 Raptor F-150?.
What are the conditions for airbag deployment on this vehicle?
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.I will try my best to help you with your question.
Was the vehicle in an accident?
Are there any trouble codes in the Air Bag Module?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mr. Penland,I do not want to bias your answer so the question is. In this vehicle, where are all the sensors that operate or trigger the airbag deployment. Driver airbag and canopy airbags.There are no codes because we do not know where the module that has the information is. Where is the EDR (Event Data Recorder). Again the vehicle is a 2010 F-150 Raptor pick up with supercab.SincerelyJose
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
The EDR (Event Data Recorder) as you call it is actually the RCM (Restraint Control Module).The RCM is mounted under the center console between the front seats on the floor board.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The diagrams are somewhat helpful. We need to clarify certain things to get closer to the answer. The NHTSA requires a vehicle like the Raptor 2010 F-150 to have an EDR (Event Data Recorder). What we need to established is Whether the part 14B321 corresponds to the number 4 module or the part 14B056 is the EDR or whether the EDR is a chip that contains the data within the RCM. I am interested in reading this data once the EDR is identified so if you have a diagram, a write up of the location and the procedure to remove it so the data can be read would be very helpful. On the second part of the question. It seems to me that your diagram on page 3 indicate different air bag modules and on page 4-5 indicate different sensors. What are the conditions (crash conditions, speed, force, etc) under which eache one of these are to deploy the air bags. Is this decision made on the 14B321 part or in the 14B056 or in another one? Is the 14B004 sensors in front supposed to trigger the deployment of the driver and the cabin canopy airbags?, What about the 14B345. If so under what conditions?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Like I stated, the EDR is the RCM (Restraint Control Module) itself. The only problem is that technicians like me do not have the ability to access the data stored inside. We can only monitor the sensors the RCM sees and retrieve trouble codes. Crash data and possibly what you are looking for is only accessible by Ford Motor Company itself and insurance companies. Technicians cannot access this information.
There are a lot of legalities involved with this data that the public cannot access.
The other data we do not have access to either, the force, crash conditions, speed and other data as you asked.