Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Ford f 250 powerstroke: I have a 2015 ford f250 with the diesel

Customer Question

I have a 2015 ford f250 with the diesel since April. Oil looked extremely dirty @ 1100 miles so change it and filter with rotela 10-30. Now have 2500 miles on the 2nd oil change and the oil again looks horrible. went to dealer and was told it was fine, drive to 5000 on the oil then change. I think the motor sounds a little noisy compared to new.... what could be causing the oil to get so dirty, ( black as ink ). so quickly, or might a have a significant engine problem.
laceyville Pa.
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Hi. How many diesels have you owned in the past?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2nd first was a 2002 ford 7.3 power stroke.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the dealer ship is one we have had very good service from in the past, but this oil is black as coal. and the first time it good that black by 1000 miles
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I would have to agree with the dealer that the engine oil color is normal. I am a dealer technician and everytime I change diesel oil it is pitch black. It is black whether or not it is a 7.3 or a 6.7.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(###) ###-####
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
I am unavailable for phone calls at the moment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eric, the reason for my concern is that other 6.7 owners that I have spoke with do not see the same blackness that I am seeing. I always change my 2002 7.3 @ 4000 miles and it never got any were as black as what I am seeing with this new motor. I plan on keeping this truck for a long time time and don't want troubles in the future when I get up around 100,000 mile mark. The dealership has treated us well in the past and the diesel mechanic that worked on my 2002 was realy good, but this oil is" spooky' to look at now and I am just looking for another knowledge able opinion to confirm my mechanics. $65,000 dollar investment hear!
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
First, at least you do have a 100k mile powertrain warranty. There are no service bulletins or messages from Ford related to a dark oil issue. If the dealer has been good to you in the past I see no reason that they would not be straight forward with you. Like I said, I see this all the time at the dealer and black oil is common on any diesel I see.