Brad B
Brad B, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified & ASE G1. Ford Senior Master
6458937

Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L: I have a 2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L.

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L. Everything shuts down while im driving. I pull over to the side of the road, wait 5 min and im off again. The starter doesnt crank while im waiting to restart. Any Ideas of what the problem might be?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Brad B replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Thanks for choosing Just Answer! It sounds like you may have an alternator regulator fault, I just need to make sure I am understanding your issue correctly. Does the vehicle restart after 5 minutes? And if so, do you notice a check engine light, dash lights or a theft light flashing (a red light on the dash)? It is possible that the alternator is not able to put out enough amps at a certain load and is causing the stall but there is just enough voltage to allow a restart or no start at all. This issue could also be from the anti theft system or ignition being faulty. As soon as I hear back from you with a little more details on what happens at the time of the fault, I can further assist you to fix your problem. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brad,Yes the starter engages after sitting about 5 min or so. As far as the check engine light, sometimes it comes on after the stall and sometimes not. The red anti-theft light. Is that the light on top of the dash up near the windshield directly below the rear view mirror? If so, it always flashes when the alarm is engaged. I have not noticed any difference since i started having this issue.Mac
Expert:  Brad B replied 1 year ago.
Yes the theft light is the one seen on the dash as you described. Is that light continually flashing or just has a flash every few seconds when the vehicle stalls? You have an electrical fault which could be the PATS system, charging system, battery cables loose / possibly too corroded or an ignition fault. If you move the key up / down when the vehicle is running, does the dome light happen to come on? Just checking on the dome lights as this shows an ignition issue, the PATS issue will cause a fast blinking light.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brad,
Wow! I have had the dome light come on at weird times. Not very often though. I thought it was my cabin dimmer switch. You are right on track with all of the other info i have received. The alternator i am running now is from an autoparts store. I have heard that might be my issue. Need to get the high priced alternator from Ford. I am going to replace battery and battery cables and alternator tomorrow.
Mac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also,
I have not checked the anti-theft light after breaking down, good info, i will do that and make sure it is not a fast blinking red light.
Mac
Expert:  Brad B replied 1 year ago.
Before changing the battery and alternator, I'd recommend to stop by the local auto store and have a free charging system / battery test to make sure both are okay and if so then I'd recommend to look over the theft light and see if the dome light comes on when you move the key up and down when the engine is running. Let me know what you come up with and we will figure out what the issue is to cause the stalling issue. It can be tough at times to find the issue online as I cannot see the vehicle. Thanks for your patience!