James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

Ford Escape: I hear a noise only inside my car. Sounds like

Customer Question

I hear a noise only inside my car. Sounds like when someone's heart stops beating.... the flatlining noise on a heart machine in the hospital. I went and got a diagnostic on my car and the mechanic says it could be my car alarm. (factory car alarm) what are your thoughts? how can I fix the problem?
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for choosing just answer. A factory car alarm would cause a flatline yup noise. It will honk the horn. Does it sounds like the horn in a low pitched sound?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it does sound like the horn in a low pitched tone. What needs to be done to get this fixed? I hope I don't have to go to the dealership cause that would be expensive I would think.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Does it run all the time or only while the vehicle is running. Can you tell which side of the car it's coming from?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So far it only makes the noise when the car is running. Sounds like the sound is coming from the driver's side.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You don't need to call, we can just type
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
If you have your owners manual? If you remove the horn fuse does the noise go away?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I remove to horn fuse with my hands or do I need a special tool?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Removing it with my hands is difficult. I guess I need pliers or a tweezer :-(
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Usually there is a small pair of fuse pliers in the panel. Otherwise if you have a small pair of pliers it can be removed with this as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok well I'll have to go pick up a pair of pliers to take out the fuse. I hope the fuse will fix the problem
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Removing the horn fuse will let us know for sure if it's the horn making the noise. If it is we can leave it disconnected or if you want to drive with the horn unplugged that works also.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't had the time to remove the horn fuse yet. I've been working a lot so I will probably do it this weekend. If I take the fuse out and the noise stops, could I buy a new fuse so that I will be able to use my horn?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if I take the fuse out and I still hear the noise, what would be the next step?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure. if you have an aftermarket alarm system it might be shorting out internally. The horn ring inside the steering wheel can be bad. The horn can have an internal short as well causing it to go off all the time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have an after market alarm.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Then it is likely a wiring concern causing a short to voltage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so I will remove the horn fuse this weekend and see if the noise goes away. if it doesn't who would be able to check on the wiring of my car? do I have to go to ford?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Since this is an electrical concern it can be difficult to diagnose. A lot of people are weak in the basic electrical area. This isn't something I would recomend doing yourself but some shops specialize in it. You want to make sure the horn is the issue before anything which I'm pressure sure it is. And if the noise is faint the horn could have just failed and shorted to power so it is just going off.