Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
9600325

Ford Windstar: We purchased a 2000 Ford Windstar from a man

Customer Question

We purchased a 2000 Ford Windstar from a man who only gave us one key with no remote. There were a lot of problems with it: (the van) My husband changed the instrument panel and now it won't start. It flashes 'using wrong key'. We called a locksmith to see if he could program a new code but he said changing the instrument panel would not be the problem for it not starting now. My husband removed the panel he put in and put the old one back in and it started right back up so that is the problem. With the old instrument panel the gages do not work. What is the problem?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** and thanks for your question.
The locksmith is incorrect. The keys are programmed to the cluster. The cluster also needs to be programmed with the vehicle as-built data as well as identified on the vehicles network. All of these functions are accomplished with a Ford IDS scanner with a current Ford data subscription. Either a dealer or locksmith with this equipment and data subscription will be required to replace the cluster and have the vehicle start with the new cluster.You will also need two keys.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome and best of luck!
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.
If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service as you see fit. Rating does not close the question if you have follow up questions. Thanks!