Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Ford Taurus SE: I drive a 2006 Ford Taurus SE. When I go to

Customer Question

I drive a 2006 Ford Taurus SE. When I go to start it, the engine will turn and start but then it will stall immediately as it can't seem to keep an idle going.
I ran diagnostics on it and the code P0511 indicating a problem with the Idle Air Control Circuit came up. Brought it to a garage and they replaced the fuse linked to the IAC but found no explanation as to why the fuse would have blown. They did however note that my spark plug wire needed to be changed and was sparking at the back of the motor. However, they did not feel that this explained the blown fuse.
Nonetheless, drove the car home and made it. Though note that my air conditioning wasn't working (I think it shares a fuse with the IAC); the check engine light came on during the drive home. Later that night, the same problem happened again: would ignite but would stall immediately when idling. Checked the new fuse, and it had blown again.
Not really sure what to do next. Can you help me?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Fuse 18 powers the IAC, PCM and the AC clutch relay. The wiring to each needs to be visually checked to check for chaffing resulting in the circuit grounding out. Next would be to remove the AC clutch relay, replace the fuse and retest. If the fuse does not blow after driving, then the concern is the wire from the relay to the clutch or the clutch coil on the compressor to blame. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris