Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Explore xlt 4wd: replace my transmission range sensor on 2003

Customer Question

replace my transmission range sensor on 2003 ford explorer xlt 4wd because of a check engine service light. Check engine service light is gone but now the rears wheels only move in reverse.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
What code did you have?What transmission issues did you have before this failure?Are you saying only reverse works or all gears other than park act as reverse?So far, I am leaning most towards the shift linkage or TR sensor out of adjustment. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Sorry I do not do phone calls.Do you want to get back on the waiting list to see if another tech offers this service you pay extra for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sorry for not detailing the situation enough. I going to try and rectify the situation with this detail explanation.
1. My car is a 20003 ford explorer xlt, that is always***** There is no option for 2x4.
2. My check engine light came on monday night. I went to autozone for a diagnostic. Their result was the transmission range sensor was going bad. I order it that night and got it tuesday afternoon.
3. I installed the new transmission range sensor friday night after following video instructions I found on the internet. I made sure to disconnect the battery as well as put the car in nuetral before installing. Special note: I had to put the car in neutral from the transmission underneath the car because once you disconnection the battery the shifter doesn't work.
4. Upon completion the check engine light went out.
5. The back wheels will only go in reverse in drive,3,2,1. You can literally see the back and front wheels go in opposite directions.
You do not recall the code I assume.The code was gone because you disconnected the battery. It is physically not possible for one axle to spin the wheels forward and the other to spin them in reverse.With all 4 wheels on the ground. Apply throttle in R-N-D-3-2-1 and tell me what each gear does?The way you have described it, the front wheels are spinning trying to go forward and the rear wheels are spinning trying to backwards, tires just smoking on the pavement.