James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

Ford Explorer: I have a 1999 Ford Explorer 2WD 4.0L. The truck

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Ford Explorer 2WD 4.0L. The truck starts fine in the morning and most of the time but I have noticed sometime when the engine been running for a while, it will not start. I can turn the key and the truck will not make a sound. Let it set for a while and it will start like new. What should I be looking at to replace?
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for choosing just answer. It almost sounds like your starter solenoid might be failing under the heat. Heat in the electrical solenoid causes resistance. If there is to much resistance the starter can't work correctly. The next couple times you try and start the vehicle I would listen carefully to the starter and see if it sounds different then normal. If it does it's likely on its way out and will need to be replaced.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I received the starter solenoid yesterday and installed it on the starter. The truck started fine , I did not have time to drive it for the solenoid to heat up. Today the truck has stop twice after driving about 20 minutes each trip. I will allow the truck to sat for about 30-45 minutes and it will start like nothing is wrong. The times it will not start there is no clicking or any sounds coming from the engine.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Was this the starter solenoid on the fender or on the starter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On the starter
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a test light or anything for electrical testing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
When it won't start can you test to make sure the starter is still getting power when it's to hot to crank over?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good.