Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

F150: My sons 96 F150 is having steering issues. When driving

Customer Question

My sons 96 F150 is having steering issues. When driving slow, its hard or wont turn at all. At highway speeds when trying to turn, it will "jump". Fluid in pump reservoir seems over filled. Could the pump be the issue or something else, steering box? Could use advice before jumping into it. Thanks
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
The problem you are describing sounds like you have a weak power steering pump. One way that you can check it is while setting still and turning the steering wheel rev the engine up a little to increase the pump speed while turning the wheel, if it then become easier to turn when reving the engine that usually means the pump is weak and not producing enough pressure.