A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

FREESTAR: 2004 FORD FREESTAR EVAP PROBLEM

Customer Question

2004 FORD FREESTAR EVAP PROBLEM
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Can I start by getting your VIN and the code number in the computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
vin # 2ftza54604ba97835 code # df2112a650ba got code from dealer with vin #
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok good go online text me please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok amedee,online ok send info.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO PHONE CALL. GO ONLINE
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
Hello and sorry for the delay! I see your accept rate is a bit low. I will leave this open for other experts.
Amedee
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.I will try my best to help you with your question.
We need the trouble code for the check engine light please.
It will start with a "P". Example, P0402
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO CODES,EVAP PRESSURE NOISE BUZZING COMMING FROM FUEL VAPOR SYSTEM AND I REMOVE GAS CAP AND IT GOES AWAY.I REPLACED FUEL TANK,PURGE VALVE,VENT VALVE,VISUAL INSPECTION NO KINKS IN ANY LINES,WORRIED PROBLEM.I CHECKED FOR ANY UP DATES ON ECM NO UPDATES. WHEN I REMOVE FUEL CAP PRESSURE BUILDS AND WHEN I REMOVE GAS CAP IT RELEASES PRESSURE,DONT THE VAPOR GO TO CANISTER SO IT WONT BUILD PRESSURE.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
It does not build pressure. It actually is pulled into a vacuum by the engine. The engine has a Vapor Management Valve (purge valve) allows engine vacuum to pull the evap system into a vacuum and is monitored by the Fuel Tank Pressure sensor. The canister vent solenoid is also closed allowing the system to be pulled into a vacuum. When the PCM wants to burn the fuel vapors off in the engine, it turns the VMV on and leans the injectors out to compensate for the fuel vapors. It will also allow excessive pressures to bleed off into the canister by the vent solenoid.
Where is the buzzing noise actually coming from?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PURGE VALVE ON THE LEFT FRONT FIRE WALL THEIR.I CAN ACTIVATE PURGE VALVE WITH SCANNER ADD 85 % DUTY CYCLE IT STARTS BUZZING ANNOYING NOISE.PURGE VALVE IS MAKING NOISE. I REPLACED VALVE TWICE FROM DEALER.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Did you replace it twice for the same buzzing noise?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IF I REMEMBER IT HAD A PURGE VALVE CODE.NO CODE NOW,BUT HAS THE BUZZING NOISE. THE FIRST TIME I REPLACED VALVE I DID NOT HERE IT .
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
If the valve is buzzing, and the other did not, replace the valve. The buzzing noise is caused by a reaction between the spring and the vacuum to the valve. The valve inside is bouncing back and forth rapidly causing the buzzing noise.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I REPLACED VALVE TWO TIMES FROM DEALER.NO LUCK I'M GOING TO CHECK FOR VACUM LEAKS AT THE SOURCE INTAKE MANIFOLD,I DID SEE VACUM LEAKS AT THE EGR VALVE VACUM SIDE PIPE SEAL AND THROTLE BODY GASKET.TOO BAD PCM WILL NOT PICK UP LEAN CODE.I GUESS ITS NOT BAD ENOUGH TO FAIL MONITORS. SMOKE MACHINE IS GREAT. I THINK ITS LIKE A RELAY CURRENT FLOW IS NOT CORRECT RELAY STARTS BUZZING, SO LET ME FIX MY VACUM LEAKS. MAYBE NOT CORRECT VACUM TOO PURGE VALVE CAUSING BUZZING TO OVER COME SPRING TENTION.LET ME TRY THIS FIRST.LET YOU NOW FRIDAY.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI, I REPAIRED VACUM LEAKS. THE SECOUND I STARTED IT I HEARD THE NOISE IS STILL THEIR.WOW,IM STUCK ANY HELP?. WHEN AND HOW DOES IT PURGE,COLD OR WHILE RUNNING ONLY.PURGING AT THE WRONG TIME.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Have you checked for any trouble codes recently since the repair. And are the new valves buzzing also?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no codes,same valve buzzzing purge valve is only one buzzing.i need to now how this system works.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Let me run this past a friend of mine. He works Ford and we use him for database searches with Ford.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THAT WILL BE GREAT,THANKS.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
should hear back from him tomorrow. He is located in Dearborn, Michigan.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ANY LUCK ON YOUR FRIEND.PENLAND THANKS.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I have not heard back from him yet. Still waiting actually on three other vehicles also.