Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

2007: Have an 07 sportrac that i just drove to az from mn.

Customer Question

Have an 07 sportrac that i just drove to az from mn. Had recently flushed the radiator, replced hoses, belts and thermostat. Yesterday when in n.m it started overheating, only when i maintained a high rpm could i keep it out of the red. Is there a fan switch that is malfunctioning or?
Category: Ford
Expert:  fordtechsuzukitech25 replied 1 year ago.
there is not an electric fan, it is a viscous clutch fan, its filled with a type of liquid that when hot it gets thicker and makes the fan spin faster, to check it all you do is spin the fan with your hand, if it spins real easy it is faulty, if it is stiff then its good,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was able to spin/turn the fan with the engine off, i did replace the thermostat again today, after replacing it less than thirthy days ago. Im still looking to resolve the redline overheat condition im experic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im experiencing, is my primary vehicle and need to report to my first day on the job this coming monday. I will run vehicle first thing in morning to see if new thermostat fixed the problem.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Did the thermostat solve your issue? If not, when the vehicle is running (do this on cold engine) and radiator cap is off, and you accelerate can you see the coolant flowing or the radiator burp when you let off the throttle? Do you have any weeping of coolant on the front of the engine from the water pump? How about the radiator, has it been washed down from the engine side out to make certain there is no dirt plugging it? I used to live in Arizona and travel through New Mexico often. I know the radiators can get plugged with dirt from the dusty climate in those states. Also as mentioned, Are you able to spin the fan very easily with the engine off? If you spin it, does it keep spinning or it stops as soon as you let your hand off of it?