Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

My daughter in laws car is doing this, the dash lights and

Customer Question

My daughter in laws car is doing this, the dash lights and radio flash on and off right before it dies
Category: Ford
Expert:  fordtechsuzukitech25 replied 1 year ago.
i would check charging system, sounds like alt. not charging, have also had over charging do the same thing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me get some more details for you from my daughter who has had it at a mechanic shop already for several days, it doesn't do it consistently and you have to drive it awhile before it acts up. She's going to call me in a few minutes. I suspect the current certified Non-Ford mechanic has already checked the alternator / charging system, but let me get the facts on what currently has been done on troubleshooting the issue. Sorry for being the middle man, but trying to help them resolve the issue or at least assist in distance troubleshooting.
if its a front wheel drive car, i have seen alot of broken wires by the alt. that will make contact sometimes and sometimes not. also have had alternators stop working after they get hot and when it cools down (like the tow truck ride to the shop) would work again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alternator has been changed already and that didn't fix it. Not sure about the voltage regulator. Last time it did it, focus wouldn't start, so she called the wrecker to pick it up and by the time he jiggled the switch to put in neutral so he could hook up to the car for towing, the car would start. I'm wondering after hearing this incident if the switch has an intermittent issue dependent on tumbler wear inside the switch from 10 years of heavy key chain wear from a woman driver. Your thoughts now after knowing alternator was already changed.
the early focus's had alot of problems with the ign. lock cyl. i personally had to replace alot that wered towed in to the shop
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm going to let her push the issue with the mechanic tomorrow as it is her day off and see what they decide on an action plan to move forward on troubleshooting and repairs. If we don't find resolution soon, I'm going to advise she bring it to a reputable ford dealer and ditch this independent mechanic. Thanks for your info with little to go on from me and her. I won't hesitate to use this service again.
i hope she gets it straightened out